Monday 21 February 2011

Learning the alphabet 楽しいアルファベット


My daughter is only two and a half so I certainly don't want to force her to memorize letters at the moment.

Maria Montessori noted that children learn from a well prepared environment, so here's what I'm doing at home. My daughter loves to open the fridge. So on the fridge I've stuck an A4 sheet with the alphabet on and a corresponding picture for each letter. I also have a set of alphabet flash cards, and I select a couple of those to stick on the fridge and change them occasionally.

So everytime she goes to the fridge she sees the alphabet. We have a chat about what's up there, but I just keep it light.
We also have magnetic letters up there too. She makes great faces with them, and then a great mess with them on the floor.

No comments: