Wednesday 27 July 2011

バイリンガル子供達 Our bilingual kids

My little girl and boy have both been living in the U.K. now for just over a month.
My little girl is almost 3. Her primary language is Japanese but since moving here I've definitely noticed an increase in her English skills. She lives with us and her uncle as well as meeting her grandad and grandma every day.
She can already sweet-talk her grandad into giving her cookies and grapes. When she comes back home, she calls out, 'Hiya Uncle Jon!!!' or 'Hiya Grandad, hiya Grandma' when we visit my parents. At the moment we are trying to get her to say, Oh yes' instead of 'Oh yeaaay! Example: Do you want a cookie? 'Oh yeaaay', Do you want to go to the park? 'Oh yeaay' and so on. I guess she's copying my 'Oh yeah' so it's up to mummy as well to sort her English out!!
She still chats to herself in Japanese, which her daddy is also trying to change from standard Tokyo dialect to his Osaka one.
Bless her, it's as if she has 3 languages going on in her head at the moment!! She takes it all in her stride though.
More than anything, I want to move and get settled so she can make friends and start school in September.

No comments: